Jonathan’s Place relies on a small army of volunteers to help provide a safe place, loving homes and promising futures for abused and neglected children, teens, and young adults.
For the safety of the children we serve, those wishing to volunteer on campus at Jonathan’s Place are required to:
- Be at least 18 years of age to work directly with the children
- Attend a volunteer orientation, the session typically lasts 1 – 1 ½ hours and describes the volunteer program, state standards, general rules, scheduling, and an extended question and answer period. Applications will be distributed at orientation.
- Submit a completed volunteer application
- Complete online training sessions
- Submit a copy of your Texas State driver’s license or ID and social security card to be used for a criminal background check
- Receive an FBI background check
- Pass a tuberculosis test
- Provide three (3) non-family references
Emergency Shelter Direct Care
Our direct care volunteers work directly with the staff in caring for the children, which can range from infants to teens. Duties may include assisting with meals, reading a book, helping with homework, helping with night time routines, or playing games.
Mentor Program for the Girls’ Residential Treatment Program
This program is designed to provide long-term consistent positive relationships between our teen girls in the Girls’ Residential Treatment Program and a female adult at least 21 years of age. We require a one year commitment with a minimum of 2 hours of weekly contact.
- We have a strong need for volunteer receptionists to answer front desk phone calls and greet guests. There could also be light office work, such as filing and making copies.
- Our social workers are also in need of an assistant to help with filing, copying, making packets, and any other light administrative duties needed. This would be ideal for someone thinking of going into social work or is currently studying social work. The hours are flexible, but will need to be during regular office hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 4pm.
Volunteers can be involved through other avenues, such as:
- providing meals for our children
- organizing supply or food drives
- sponsoring a child for summer camp
- assisting with our annual golf tournament or luncheon.
To get started please download and complete the Volunteer Application.